Thirroul Beach became a popular beach at the turn of the last century. Alarmed at the increasing number of rescues being performed, the locals formed one of the first surf clubs outside of Sydney in 1908. The next year the first surf carnival on the south coast attracted 2000 people. Dressing sheds were erected in 1910 and the first rock pool at the southern end in 1923.
Today Thirroul can cater to large crowds. The entire beach is backed by a wide, grassed reserve offering parking, parks, playgrounds and picnic areas. A large park also surrounds the now drained lagoon behind the northern end of the beach. The surf club occupies the centre, with dressing sheds and a full size Olympic pool and wading pool next door.
Thirroul Beach is patrolled by Volunteer Lifesavers on Sundays and Public Holidays. Please visit www.beachsafe.org.au for further information about patrolling times of Council Lifeguards.
How to get there
Turn off Lawrence Hargrave drive onto Bath Street and follow to the end. There is about 40 parking spots available next to the surf club or more can be found outside Thirroul Pool.